Top Tips for Workplace Well-being
Whether you’re an employee looking to get the most out of your working environment, or an employer looking for ways to help your staff feel content and engaged, here are a few of our top tips for workplace well-being…
There is strong evidence to support the idea that feeling close to and valued by other people is a fundamental human need, promoting a real sense of purpose and well-being. In short, we all appreciate a kind word and a bit of encouragement! That being said…
- Speak to new people- That person next to you in the canteen line; why not strike up a conversation? Getting to know people throughout the workplace will encourage everyone to feel a part of one, big team.
- Ask for advice, help and feedback.
- Perhaps one of your colleagues lives in the same area as you do? Colleagues who travel to work together are likely to encourage each other to be at work with plenty of time to spare.
- Make time for your existing relationships.
Regular activity is associated with lower rates of depression and anxiety and improved well-being. You don’t need to be Mr. Motivator (remember him…?) Here are a few quick ideas for keeping active around the workplace:
- Why not take the stairs, rather than the lift? You’ll be keeping green, too!
- Time to spare after eating your lunch? Instead of looking down at your phone (come on, we’re all guilty of it!) popping outside for a quick walk/breath of fresh air is a nice alternative.
- If you have time on the way to/from work, why not get off the train/bus a stop early and walk the rest of the way?
Get together with your work mates to arrange fitness clubs or sessions; set up a football team, a netball team, walking club, go rock climbing, pair-up as gym buddies… the possibilities are endless!
Research has proven that learning increases feelings of satisfaction and optimism, whilst also improving the ability to succeed. Here are a few ideas to start you off:
- Find out more about the talents and interests of the people around you. Maybe they could help teach you a new skill?
- Visit new places and experience new things- There are an abundance of museums, galleries, restaurants, theatres, music venues and sites of historical interest right on our doorstep!
- Grab on to any and all opportunities in the workplace.
- Make it your goal to learn something new everyday, and share it too! We’d love to hear about it; feel free to get in touch and let us know. Recently, we learnt that a house fly hums in the key of F… I know, I know…no need to thank us…
Some Final Bits…
- Set goals- Setting goals creates a sense of purpose and encourages productivity.
- Have a ‘clear out’ day- You know what they say: “clear space, clear mind”…or something like that…?
- Do at least one thing you enjoy everyday.
- Make the most of your time away from the office and find the time to relax.
- Support the people around you; how is everyone today?
- Live in the moment. Setting goals is fantastic, and the past is great to learn from, but don’t focus too hard on either one. Focus on today and take one, small step towards your goal each day.